Posts for tag: acne
Acne is the most common skin problem for teenagers and young adults (ages 12 through 24), but adults are not entirely immune. According to statistics, approximately 20 percent of the 60 million Americans dealing with acne are adults. There are many myths and misconceptions about the causes and potential treatment options for chronic acne and breakouts, but the truth is that anyone can develop acne regardless of skin type or lifestyle factors like diet. Dr. David Thomas and Dr. Margaret Hobson Dupree, the dermatologists at North County Dermatology Center offer personalized skin care and acne treatment in Encinitas, CA.
Acne Prevention and Treatment in Encinitas, CA
Like most people, you've probably heard a long list of different things that lead to acne, from dairy products to your favorite chocolate bar. And while a healthy diet and thorough skin cleansing routine are important, there are no guarantees that you will not develop acne or suffer the occasional breakout, even if you do everything "right."
Properly cleaning your skin every day to prevent clogged and blocked pores is the most important step in lowering your risk of breakouts. Because everyone's skin is different, finding a skincare routine that works for you is key to maintaining clear, healthy skin. Other factors that can lead to acne include hormones and bacteria. In many cases, self-care and over the counter treatments are enough to handle mild to moderate and occasional acne breakouts and flare-ups. But if conservative treatments don't work or you suffer from chronic and severe acne, it is best to see a dermatologist to figure out the underlying cause, and to find the best treatment option for your situation.
Because acne can lead to scarring, dermatologists recommend that you avoid picking at or "popping" pimples in order to minimize the risk of permanent acne scars.
Find a Dermatologist in Encinitas, CA
The first step to a clear, healthy, beautiful complexion is the right skincare routine for your needs. For more information about acne treatment and other skin problems, contact North County Dermatology Center by calling (760) 230-2805 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Thomas or Dr. Hobson Dupree today.
Have you tried countless acne products, yet still have pimples? Although over-the-counter medication can be helpful if you have a mild case of acne, drugstore medications are less effective in treating stubborn or severe acne. Dr. David Thomas and Dr. Margaret Hobson Dupree, who practice dermatology at North County Dermatology Center in Encinitas, CA, discuss several treatment options that may help clear your skin and reduce flare ups.
Prescription medications target the source of your acne
Your Encinitas dermatologist can prescribe prescription-strength medication that addresses common causes of acne. They include:
- Topical Medications: Acne lesions form when your pores become blocked with skin oils. Topical medications applied directly to your skin prevent blockages by increasing skin cell turnover. They also reduce future blockages and help acne lesions heal. Common topical medications include tretinoin, adapalene, and tazarotene.
- Antibiotics: Antibiotics kill p. acnes bacteria on your skin and are usually used in combination with topical medications. They're available in both topical and oral forms.
- Oral Contraceptives: Oral contraceptives don't just prevent pregnancy, but may also decrease acne related to monthly hormonal changes. Contraceptives reduce the amount of sebum you produce. Sebum, an oily substance that helps keep your skin moist, can clog pores if you produce too much of it.
- Isotretinoin: This powerful acne medication is only recommended for people who have severe cystic acne. Although it's very effective, it can affect your liver or cause birth defects. While you take it, you'll need to undergo regular blood tests and use a reliable means of birth control if you are female.
- Chemical Peels and Microdermabrasion: Both treatments remove acne lesions in the top layers of your skin. Microdermabrasion treatment uses a spray of fine crystals to buff away skin layers, while chemicals do the work in chemical peels.
- Blue Light Therapy: Exposing the skin to blue light can have a beneficial effect on acne. Blue light treatments destroy bacteria in oil glands in your pores and shrink the glands. Blue light therapy is usually conducted over a period of several weeks in our Encinitas office.
Improve your appearance with one or more of these dermatology treatments. Call Encinitas, CA, dermatologists, Dr. Thomas or Dr. Dupree, at (760) 230-2805 to schedule your appointment.
Acne is a frustrating skin condition, especially when nothing seems to effectively clear away the redness and blemishes that come with it. Acne isn't limited to teenagers; adults of any age can be affected by various forms. At North County Dermatology Center in Encinitas, California, our dermatologists - Dr. David Thomas and Dr. Margaret Hobson Dupree - have the expertise to diagnose your acne and prescribe the best possible treatment. Learn more about acne and its treatments here:
This is the mildest form of acne, caused by the blockage of oil and dead skin cells in the pores. This is the type that most often affects teenagers. Patients who visit their Encinitas dermatologist with comedonal acne usually present with a combination of blackheads and whiteheads on the forehead, nose, and chin. Treatment usually starts with prescription topical creams applied to the affected areas to unblock the clogged pores. Mild acne cleansers may be recommended by your Encinitas dermatologist as well.
In addition to the signs of comedonal acne, inflammatory acne causes the blocked pores to become reddened and inflamed. In cases like this, your Encinitas dermatologist will include an oral retinoid antibiotic regimen that will treat the inflammatory bacteria beneath the skin.
This is the most severe form of acne, which produces large, swollen pustules on the skin. It is caused by an infection under the skin and can lead to permanent, noticeable scarring. If the standard treatments do not work on cystic acne, your Encinitas dermatologist may employ the use of laser or light therapy to target the reddened skin and kill bacteria.
Regardless of your acne type, the dermatologists at North County Dermatology Center in Encinitas, CA can develop a treatment plan for you. Contact our office to set up a consultation today!