FAQs About Dermal Fillers
A facelift isn't the only option if you're concerned about the effects of aging. Minimally invasive dermal fillers offer a much easier way to improve your appearance. Dr. David Thomas and Dr. Margaret Hobson Dupree, your Encinitas, CA, dermatologists at North County Dermatology Center, explain how you can benefit from this injectable skin treatment.
What are dermal fillers?
As you age, your skin starts to sag and becomes less elastic. Dermal fillers work by plumping up the volume of your face, which decreases lines, wrinkles and folds. Common filler types include collagen, hyaluronic acid, calcium hydroxyapatite and poly-l-lactic acid. Some types of fillers offer short-term results, while the effects of other fillers may last several years. Your dermatologist will decide which type of filler is best for you based on the goals of the treatment and the area to be treated.
How can dermal fillers make me look younger?
Gel-like dermal fillers improve your appearance and decrease signs of aging by:
- Revitalizing Cheeks and Lips: As you age, your lips thin and your cheeks become hollow. Fillers plump up these areas and give you a more youthful appearance.
- Softening Wrinkles: When your skin is firmer, lines, wrinkles and folds soften and become less noticeable.
- Reducing Crow's Feet: Fillers are also a solution if you want to minimize the small wrinkles at the corners of your eyes.
- Smoothing Nasolabial Fold Lines: Nasolabial fold lines, also called marionette lines, extend from your nose to your mouth and become more pronounced as you age. Fillers soften these lines, which helps you look younger.
- Reducing Lips Lines and Chin Creases: Vertical lip lines not only make you look older but can also make wearing lipstick more challenging. Luckily, fillers can soften these lines and also improve the appearance of creases in your chin.
What happens when you receive dermal fillers at your Encinitas, CA, Dermatologists' office?
Before the injections begin, a topical anesthetic will be applied to your face to minimize discomfort. The injection process doesn't take long. Treatment of small areas can be completed in less than five minutes. If several areas are being treated, you can expect to spend up to an hour at the office. You can return to your normal activities immediately after you receive your dermal fillers, although you may notice a little pain or redness for a few hours.
For more information, call Drs. Thomas and Hobson Dupree, your Encinitas, CA dermatologists at North County Dermatology Center, at (760) 230-2805 to schedule your skin treatment.