Healthy and glowing. Is that how you describe your skin, or do lines, wrinkles, dullness and age spots concern you? At North County Dermatology Center in Encinitas, CA, your three dermatologists believe good skin starts with regular skin treatment at home. Let Dr. David Thomas, Dr. Margaret Hobson Dupree and Dr. Erin Storie guide you on what to do.
Not just a matter of age
The skin changes you see result from age, yes, but also from:
- Sun exposure (sunburns, tanning and artificial tanning)
- Lack of moisture
- A poor diet
- Environmental pollution
Combine all those factors with heredity, and you see lines, wrinkles, spots and changes in brightness and pigmentation.
What you can do for your skin
The goals of any skin treatment regimen are minimizing irritation, limiting sun exposure and improving skin aesthetics. Also, you should understand the signs and of dangerous skin cancer.
So, at North County Dermatology Center in Encinitas, we recommend the following skincare routine:
- Always wash the face with a gentle cleanser at least once daily.
- Moisturize your face daily with a quality product. Moisturizers make your skin feel less irritated and also smooth fine lines and wrinkles.
- Apply an SPF 30 sunscreen lotion any time you go outside. Re-apply every two hours or more often if you swim or sweat.
- Hydrate. Drink water continually throughout the day.
- Eat a diet high in fiber.
- Remove your cosmetics at bedtime.
- Stop all tobacco products.
- Wear sunglasses (this benefits your vision as well).
- Reduce your stress levels. (the American Institute of Stress says that the cortisol hormone increases outbreaks of acne, eczema and other skin conditions)
- Do a monthly self-exam, looking for changes in skin texture and color and in the shape, size and number of moles.
- See your dermatologist once a year for an in-office exam.
Your skin health is so important, and good care begins at home. For more information on skin treatments, please contact Drs. Thomas, Hobson Dupree or Storie at North County Dermatology Center in Encinitas, CA. We look forward to seeing you! Phone (760) 230-2805.